返回列表 发帖

教育系列讨论四字幕——MUTE译

K: What would you like me to talk about?
克:你们想让我来谈些什么?

You don't have to raise your arm - just tell me.
你不需要举手--告诉我就可以了。

S: Why are you superior and we are inferior to you?
学生:为什么您是出众优越的,而我们却不如您?

S: Why do we feel that way - many of us?
学:我们为什么会有那样的感受--为什么我们很多人都有?

K: Feel superior, inferior? S: Yes, sir.
克:感觉比他人优越,感觉不如他人?学:是的,先生。

K: My god, I never thought about it!
克:天哪,我从来没有想过这个问题!

Why do we, sitting here - there's an echo there (laughter).
我们为什么,坐在这里--这里有回音(笑声)。

Why do we - that's stopped that - why do we...
我们为什么--回音停下来了--我们为什么...

...why do you feel that you are superior to the rest of us?
...
为什么你会感觉比我们其余的人都优越?

Is that it?
问题是这样吗?

S: Many of us feel that. K: Many of us feel that way.
学:我们很多人都有那种感觉。克:我们很多人都有那种感觉。

Why?
为什么?

Why do you think?
你们为什么会那样想?

S: Maybe because everybody is talking about you.
学:可能因为每个人都在谈论您。

K: Oh, everybody's talking about me. Too bad!
克:哦,每个人都在谈论我。太糟糕了!

Then apart from that, why do you think that way at all?
那么除此以外,究竟你们为什么会那样想?

S: I don't know. K: You don't know.
学:我不知道。克:你不知道。

S: It just comes into our minds. S: It just comes into our mind.
学:我们自然就这样想了。学:我们自然就这样想了。

K: Not two at once.
克:请不要两个人一起讲。

What did you say?
你们刚才说什么?

Please, don't be afraid.
请告诉我,不要害怕。

S: It just comes into our minds.
学:我们自然就这样想了。

K: Just comes into our brain.
克:我们自然就那么想了。

Why?
为什么?

I've been all over the world, which you haven't been.
我已经去过世界各地,而你们没有去过那些地方。

I have been...
在战前,第二次世界大战前...

...before the war, the second world war, all over Europe...
...
我去过整个欧洲...

...Australia, New Zealand, Fiji, South America - right?
...
我去过澳大利亚,新西兰,斐济,南美洲--是吗?

...all over America, Europe and so on.
...
还有整个美洲,欧洲,等等。

Does that make any difference?
那是什么重要的事情吗?

S: No. K: No.
学:不是。克:不是。

Then what makes you different from somebody else?
那么是什么让你和其他人不同?

S: Sir, maybe we form opinions about the other person.
学:先生,可能是我们对其他人形成了某种看法。

We build up some kind of opinion.
我们形成了某种看法。

K: Why do you have opinions about other people?
克:你为什么会对其他人有各种看法?

You tell me why you have different opinions from others.
你来告诉我,你为什么存有和其他人不同的看法。

What is an opinion?
什么是看法?

You are clever boys, come on!
你们都是聪明的孩子,请告诉我!

Those too sitting up among the mighty!
那些高高在上坐在权威当中的人也请告诉我!

What is an opinion?
什么是看法?

Why do we have opinions...
我们为什么有这些看法...

...about me, about each other, about the elder people?
...
对我的看法,对于彼此的看法,对于年长的人们的看法?

Why do you have opinions, what do you mean by opinions?
我们为什么会有这些看法,你们的这些看法是什么含义?

S: An image, an idea.
学:一个意象,一个想法。

K: An image, or an idea about other people.
克:关于其他人的一个意象,或者一个想法。

Why do you have them? You don't know me.
你们为什么存有这些想法意象?你们并不了解我。

Right?
对吗?

Right?
对吗?

S: (Inaudible) K: No, no, darling, just a minute.
学:(无法听清的)克:不,不,亲爱的孩子,等一下。

You don't know me, do you? No.
你们并不了解我,对吗?不了解。

I come here once in a while...
我隔一段时间会来这里一趟...

...and there is a lot of fuss about it.
...
并且人们会对我的到来大惊小怪。

Right? But you don't really know me.
对吗?但是你们并不真正地了解我。

Why do you have an opinion of me?
为什么你们会对我存有某种看法呢?

I may be an awful crook.
我可能只是个可怕的骗子。

Right? I may be a charlatan - you know...
对吗?我可能是个吹牛的人--你们明白吗...

...humbug, anything you like, but you don't know me.
...
欺骗者,你们想怎么称呼都可以,但是你们并不了解我。

Right? Right?
对吗?对吗?

So why do you have an opinion about me?
所以你为什么会对我存有某种看法呢?

Opinion means a suggestion, first.
首先,看法是指一个暗示。

Also it means that you have a preconceived idea about him. Right?
那也意味着你对他已经有了一个预设的想法。对吗?

Also you have an image about him. Right?
并且你对他心存一个意象。对吗?

According to that image you translate what he says...
根据那个意象,你来诠释他说的话...

...what he looks like, and all the rest of it. Right?
...
他长的样子,以及其余的一切。对吗?

So, why do you have all this?
那么,为什么你心存这所有这些?

I'm asking all of you, why do you have opinions?
我在问你们所有的人,你们为什么心存这些看法?

S: Curiosity. It's curiosity.
学:因为好奇心。那是因为好奇心。

K: Curiosity. Why do you have curiosity about me?
克:好奇心。你们为什么对我有好奇心?

I'll tell you all you want to know about me...
我会告诉你们,你们想了解的关于我的所有事情...

...everything you want to know about me.
...
你们想要了解的关于我的每一件事。

Right?
好吗?

So, why are you curious about me?
那么,你们为什么对我好奇?

How I comb my hair?
你们好奇我怎么梳我的头发吗?

How I brush my teeth, how long I sleep?
我怎么刷牙,我睡觉睡多久?

Right? Do you want to know all that?
是吗?你们想要知道所有那些事情吗?

No, you don't.
不,你们并不想知道。

Be honest, you don't. Right?
诚实一点,你们并不想知道。对吗?

So, what do you want to know about me?
那么,你们想知道关于我的什么呢?

You don't know.
你们不知道。

So, why do you have an opinion about me?
那么,你们为什么对我心存某种看法?

Why do you have an opinion about each other?
你们为什么对彼此心存某种看法?

That means, I have an opinion about you...
那意味着,当我对你心存某种看法...

...and that opinion prevents me from looking at you.
...
那么这个看法会让我无法好好地看着你。

Opinion interferes between me and you.
那个看法在你我之间是一个阻碍。

Right? So why do you have that?
对吗?所以你为什么还要存有那个看法呢?

S: Then how do you look at another person?
学:那么您是如何看其他人的?

K: How do you look at another person. Look at me.
克:你是如何看其他人的。看着我。

I look at you, why do you need an opinion?
我看着你,为什么你会需要一种看法呢?

I look at you. You have cut your hair up to here.
我看着你。你把你的头发剪到了这个长度。

I have combed my hair. (laughs)
我梳过了我的头发。(笑声)

You have seen my photo probably. But what?
你们可能看到过我的照片。那又怎样呢?

Why do you have an opinion?
你为什么会心存某种看法?

Go on, think it out.
继续想,搞清楚为什么。

Are you really thinking or are you just being silent?
你们是真地在想吗,还是只是保持沉默而已?

Can you look at somebody, listen to somebody...
你能看着某个人,倾听某个人...

...without a single opinion...
...
而不带有任何一种看法吗...

...so that you hear what he says? Right?
...
那样你就能够听到他所说的话。对吗?

You understand what he says...
你会理解他所说的话...

...you begin to grasp the significance, the meaning...
...
你开始明了那个人正在说的话当中...

...of what another is saying. Right?
...
重要的东西,话中的含义。对吗?

But if you have an opinion you can't hear.
但是如果你已经心存某种看法,你就无法真正听到。

Right? So will you listen to me when I talk?
对吗?那么当我讲话的时候,你们能倾听吗?

Actually listen, with your ear...
真正地倾听,用你的耳朵...

...and listen to what he has to say...
...
倾听他说了些什么...

...without translating what he is going to say to you.
...
而不去解释他将要对你说的话。

That means actually listen to somebody.
那意味着真正地倾听一个人。

Right?
对吗?

Actually listen.
真正地倾听。

Will you listen to your teacher?
你会倾听你的老师吗?

S: Yes, sir. K: Don't lie.
学:是的,先生。克:不要说谎。

Don't pretend.
不要假装。

Do you listen to your teacher? S: Not all the time.
你们倾听你们的老师吗?学:并非所有的时候。

K: Not all the time. Good!
克:并非所有的时候。好的!

When do you listen to them?
你们什么时候会倾听老师说的话?

Don't look at them.
不要看他们。

When do you listen to them?
你们什么时候会倾听老师说的话?

S: (Inaudible)
学:(无法听清的)

K: You four are talking, let the others talk too.
克:你们四个人在发言,让其他的人也来发言。

When do you listen to your teacher or to your educator?
你们什么时候会倾听你们的老师或者教你们的人所说的话?

S: When it suits you.
学:当内容适合你的时候。

K: When it suits you. Perfectly right!
克:当内容适合你们的时候。完全正确!

When it is comfortable to you...
当你感觉内容让你舒服的时候...

...when it is nice to you, when it suits you...
...
当内容很美好的时候,当内容适合你的时候...

...you listen to him. Right?
...
你就会去倾听。对吗?

That's not listening, is it?
那并不是倾听,对不对?

You know what to listen means, don't you?
你们知道去倾听意味着什么,对吗?

That is, you hear a sound... - right?
那是指,你听到一个声音...--对吗?

...and that's conveyed to your brain...
...
并且那个声音传到你的大脑...

...which then translates...
...
接着大脑会解释它...

...into the language you are accustomed to and says...
...
用你熟悉的话语来解释,然后说...

...'This is what he is saying to me'.
...
“这就是他正在对我说的话”。

Right? Right?
对吗?对吗?

So, do you listen to anybody?
所以,你们倾听过任何一个人吗?

Carefully, not just casually.
用心地听,而不是随随便便地听。

You know.
你们知道我的意思。

But do you actually listen to anybody?
但是你们真正地倾听过任何一个人吗?

To your father...
倾听你的父亲...

...to your uncle, to your aunt, to your mother, your teacher...
...
你的伯父,你的姑姑,你的母亲,你的老师...

...your friend, do you actually listen to anybody?
...
你的朋友,你真正地倾听过任何一个人吗?

S: We listen to you. K: You are listening to me - why?
学:我们倾听您。克:你们在倾听我--为什么这么说?

Are you really listening to me?
你真的在倾听我吗?

Or pretending, saying, 'Yes, let's get on with it'.
还是在假装倾听,心里却说,“好的,让我们混过去吧”。

Are you actually listening?
你是在真正地倾听吗?

Do you listen to the birds?
你们倾听鸟儿吗?

S: When we have no distractions we do listen.
:当没有事情分心的时候,我们会倾听。

K: You do it when?
克:你什么时候那样做?

As a distraction. S: No.
把倾听当作分心的事物。学:不是。

If there is no distraction you do listen to what you like listening to.
如果没有事情分心的话,你确实会去倾听你喜欢听的东西。

K: So, why do you use the word 'distraction'?
克:那么,你为什么用到那个词“分心”?

Tell me, you grown up people up there sitting quietly...
你们安静地坐在那里的成年人们,请告诉我..

...why do you use the word 'distraction'?
...
你们为什么要用到这个词“分心”?

You know what that word means?
你们知道那个词的含义吗?

S: Something that comes in the way of something else.
学:某件阻碍了其他的事情。

K: Old boy, I am asking you, what do you mean by distraction?
克:孩子,我在问你,你所说的分心是什么意思?

To be attracted - right? - and to be distracted.
被吸引--对吗?--以及被干扰分心了。

What are you attracted by?
你被什么所吸引?

Are you listening to me? Is it fun?
你在听我讲吗?这个题目有趣吗?

Are you forced to listen to me?
你们是被迫来这里听我讲的吗?

Nobody asked you to come and listen to me, have they?
没有什么人要求你们来听我讲,是不是这样?

Are you quite sure? Don't look at them.
你们真的确定吗?不要看他们。

You see the older ones don't talk at all...
你们看,那些年龄大些的孩子根本不说话...

...because they are higher up.
...
因为他们高高在上。

And you too when you grow up to be a little higher...
你们长大一些以后,也会变得一样...

...you will also stop talking.
...
你们也会不再发言。

But you don't stop talking amongst yourselves...
但是你们彼此之间并没有停止交谈。

...but you'll stop talking to me. Right?
...
但是你们不再和我交谈了。对吗?

Right? Why?
对吗?为什么?

Are you curious about what I want to say?
你们对我要说的内容好奇吗?

Do you want me to tell you where I have been?
你们想要我告诉你们我去过哪些地方吗?

Do you want me to tell you whom I met?
你们想要我告诉你们我都遇见了什么人吗?

S: No, sir.
学:不,先生。

K: No. You are not interested, are you?
克:不。你们对那些并不感兴趣,对吗?

These three birds are talking all the time.
这三个小家伙一直都在发言。

I'm glad you're talking.
我很高兴你们在和我交谈。

But the others keep quiet. Why?
但是其他的人却保持沉默。为什么?

I met your Prime Minister, I met the Vice President.
我见到了你们的总理,我也见到了副总统。

They had lunch and dinner...
我们一起吃了午餐和晚餐...

...and we gabbled - you know what the word 'gabble' is?
...
我们七嘴八舌的讨论着--你们知道“七嘴八舌”是什么意思吗?

Talk.
讨论。

And we met several other people.
然后我们又见了其他的几个人。

What is a politician?
政客是什么人?

S: Somebody who campaigns to win elections...
学:那个竞选然后赢得选举的人...

...and to look after the state or country in some high post.
...
并且他身居要职,照顾所有国民或者照顾国家。

S: Who leads the country, sir.
学:那个领导国家的人,先生。

K: Leads the country.
克:领导国家。

Are they leading the country?
他们在领导国家吗?

S: No, sir.
学:并没有,先生。

K: Then why do you use that word 'lead the country'?
克:那么你为什么要用到“领导国家”这样的词语?

S: Who helps the country.
学:那些帮助国家的人。

K: What do you mean 'the country'? S: The place we live in.
克:你说“国家”是什么意思?学:我们生活的地方。

K: What do you mean 'the country'? Which country?
克:“国家”是什么意思?哪一个国家?

S: Any country. K: Any country.
学:任何国家。克:任何国家。

So, are the politicians leading the country?
那么,那些政客们在领导国家吗?

S: They are trying to help. K: Trying to help what? Poverty?
学:他们正努力帮助他人。克:努力帮助他人什么?变穷困吗?

S: Trying to help to solve the problems.
学:努力帮助解决各种问题。

K: What problems? S: Various problems.
克:什么问题?学:各种的问题。

K: Tell me what problems are.
克:告诉我那都是什么问题?

S: Sir, to solve the grievances of the people.
学:先生,解决人民的不满。

K: Grievance of other people. Right?
克:其他人的不满。对吗?

Have you got grievances?
你有什么不满吗?

Against whom?
对谁不满?

I wish some of them would talk.
我希望他们当中有人会发言。

What are you interested in?
你们对什么感兴趣?

Do you want to talk to me or shall I go on talking to myself?
你们想和我交谈吗,还是我继续自言自语?

S: Excuse me, I would like to ask you about fear.
学:打扰一下,我想请您谈一谈恐惧。

K: Fear.
克:恐惧。

That is a tremendous subject, isn't it?
那是极大的一个话题,不是吗?

Are you afraid of something?
有什么令你恐惧吗?

Be honest. S: Sometimes I am.
请诚实。学:有时候我恐惧。

K: Sometimes you are. What do you mean by fear?
克:有时候你恐惧。你的恐惧是什么意思?

Carefully think it out...
用心地想明白它...

...carefully listen to the meaning of that word 'fear'.
...
用心地倾听“恐惧”的含义是什么。

Are you afraid of your mother and father?
你的父亲或者母亲令你恐惧吗?

Sometimes.
有时候。

S: Sometimes when they get angry. K: Yes, sometimes.
学:有时候当他们发怒的时候。克:是的,有时候。

Now, what is the feeling that you have...
那么,当你感到害怕,当你感到恐惧...

...when you are frightened, when you have fear?
...
你内心的感觉是什么?

What is the feeling?
你的感觉是什么?

Go on, sir.
继续,先生。

Carefully think it out, don't just say anything.
用心地想清楚它,不要随便给出一个答案。

When you have fear what is the feeling of it?
当你恐惧的时候你的感觉是什么?

What is the taste of it?
你体验到什么样的滋味?

You have tasted bananas...
你尝过香蕉的滋味...

...you have tasted various types of food - what is the taste of fear?
...
你尝过各种食物的滋味--恐惧的滋味是什么?

Especially for the older people, the older students.
特别是对那些年长一些的人,年长一些的学生。

They are very frightened...
他们非常的害怕...

...because they have got to pass exams...
...
因为他们必须要通过考试...

...and their fathers will tell them what to do.
...
并且他们的父亲会告诉他们该做些什么。

Right? Right?
对吗?对吗?

You're also going to be told what to do...
人们也会告诉你们该做些什么...

...pass exams, get a job - you know all that.
...
通过考试,找一份工作--你们知道诸如此类的事情。

So what is the feeling of fear?
那么恐惧的感觉是什么样的?

S: You feel like you want to withdraw...
学:你会觉得想要躲起来...

...into something away from what is frightening you.
...
远离正在令你恐惧的事物。

K: Yes, you see a cobra...
克:是的,你看见一只眼镜蛇...

...there are several of them here, I believe, I haven't seen them...
...
我想,这里有好几只,我曾经看到过那些蛇...

...long ones and rather poisonous...
...
身体很长而且非常毒的蛇...

...you are frightened - right? - and you withdraw.
...
你们害怕--对吗?--并且想躲起来。

What is the feeling of it?
那是一种什么感觉?

S: The pain you are going to get.
学:你将要体验到的痛苦。

K: The pain... Yes, let's keep to that word...
克:痛苦...是的,让我们紧贴这个词...

...the pain that you might have if a cobra bites.
...
如果眼镜蛇咬了你,那是你将感受到的痛苦。

Now, what is that feeling like?
那么,那种感觉像什么?

You haven't been bitten...
你从未被蛇咬过...

...but you imagine what might happen - right?
...
但是你想象会发生什么--对吗?

...or think what might happen, and you have fear.
...
或者思考可能会发生什么,接着你就有了恐惧。

I am asking you, if I may most politely...
我在问你们,如果我可以非常礼貌地询问...

...what is the feeling of that?
...
那种恐惧的感觉是什么?

Perhaps the older generation will join us.
或许年长的一代也可以加入我们的谈话。

What is the feeling of fear?
恐惧的感觉是什么?

Think it out sir, go on, don't go to sleep...
好好考虑一下先生,继续,不要睡着了...

...early morning.
...
现在是清晨。

S: Sir, maybe your mind is troubled.
学:先生,可能头脑变得杂乱无章。

K: The brain is troubled. What do you mean by that?
克:头脑杂乱无章。你的话是什么意思?

S: Sir, you don't understand what to do.
学:先生,人们会不知所措。

K: You don't understand what you're doing.
克:你不知道你在做些什么。

Right?
对吗?

You see a cobra on the road, or along the path...
你在路上看见一只眼镜蛇,或者是在路边...

...and you know it is a poisonous thing - right?
...
你知道它是有毒的--对吗?

...and you run from it, or cry, shout.
...
接着你跑开了,或者大叫起来,叫喊。

I'm asking you, what is the feeling behind that?
我在问你,那背后的感觉是什么?

S: Sir, you feel slightly restless.
学:先生,你感到有一点不平静。

K: You feel restless, you feel anxious.
克:你感到不平静,你感到焦虑。

Right? You get frightened.
对吗?你感到害怕。

What is the feeling of that being frightened?
那个害怕是什么样的感觉?

S: You feel insecure. K: Insecure.
学:你感到不安全。克:不安全。

What do you mean by that word 'insecure'?
你所说“不安全”这个词是什么意思?

Go on. Examine it step by step.
继续。一步一步地审视它。

S: Without protection. K: Without protection.
学:没有保护。克:没有保护。

You've not been bitten by the cobra.
你从未被眼镜蛇咬过。

Right?
对吗?

You've already preconceived all this.
你已经预想到了所有这些。

Right?
对吗?

Do you understand what I am saying?
你们理解我所说的吗?

You have imagined you might get hurt...
你已经想象了你可能会受到伤害...

...you might go to bed, you might die.
...
你可能会卧病在床,或者死去。

You get frightened. I'm asking you,
你感到害怕。我在问你...

you're not answering my question, if you don't mind my saying so...
...
你没在回答我的问题,如果你不介意我这么说...

...what is the feeling of it?
...
什么是恐惧的感觉?

What is behind these words?
这些词汇背后是什么?

S: You feel as if you just...
学:你感觉到就好像...

...your muscles tighten up and there's a...
...
你的肌肉在收缩,并且有一个...

I don't know how to describe it. K: You tell me.
我不知道如何描述它。克:你来告诉我。

S: Just as if your heart has stopped beating...
学:就像你的心脏已经停止了跳动...

...and sometimes for people like me it just starts beating even faster.
...
有时候对于像我这样的人,心就跳得特别快。

K: I don't understand you.
克:我不明白你所说的。

S: He says that the heart beats faster.
学:他是说他的心脏跳得非常快。

K: That's what I want you to tell me. The heart beats faster.
克:那就是我想要你告诉我的。心跳得更快了。

S: He says, the muscles stiffen. K: Muscles tighten.
学:他说,他的肌肉僵硬了。克:肌肉绷紧了。

By Jove, come up here, old boy.
老天啊,到这里来,孩子。

You don't mind sitting next to me? S: No, sir.
你不介意坐在我身边吗?学:不,先生。

K: You do mind? S: No, sir.
克:不介意吗?克:不,先生。

K: Then sit next to me.
克:那么,坐在我的旁边。

Two monkeys!
我们是两只猴子!

Heart beats faster.
心跳加快了。

Your muscles contract. Right?
你的肌肉收缩。对吗?

And what else happens?
还会发生什么情况?

Go on, just tell me.
继续,告诉我。

You wanted to discuss about fear.
你想要讨论恐惧。

That's what I'm doing. Right?
这就是我正在做的。对吗?

S: You feel like hitting it with a stone or something.
学:你想用石头或者别的什么东西击中它。

S: You feel like getting disposed of it.
学:你想把它除掉。

K: I don't...
克:我不...

S: You feel like getting rid of it. K: You want to kill it.
学:你想除掉那条蛇。克:你想杀死它。

All right, your muscles contract.
好的,你的肌肉收缩。

S: You feel as though a bell is tinkling inside you.
学:你感觉心里好像有个铃在响。

K: A bell tinkling inside you. What do you mean by that?
克:有只摇铃在你心里响。你说的话是什么意思?

S: You get that sort of feeling.
学:你会产生那样的感觉。

K: Have you ever been really frightened?
克:你曾经有过真正恐惧的感觉吗?

S: Yes, sir.
学:是的,先生。

K: I doubt it.
克:我怀疑你是否有过。

S: At the moment you want to do something, to run...
学:在那一刻你想要做些什么,想要逃跑...

...but you can't do it. K: Yes, old girl.
...
但是你无法逃跑。克:是的,孩子。

But I am asking you something else, you're not telling me.
但是我在问的是另外的事情,你们没有在回答我。

S: You start sweating, sir...
学:你开始出汗,先生...

K: He said to me, the muscles contract, you know, shrink...
克:你对我说,肌肉收缩,你知道,紧缩起来...

...and your brain becomes for a second numb...
...
而且你的头脑在那一秒变得麻木...

...it doesn't think, it is frightened.
...
它无法思考,它被吓到了。

Right?
对吗?

S: It thinks of the past images.
学:头脑想到过去的某些画面。

K: It thinks of past images.
克:头脑想到过去的一些画面。

Does it, at the moment you are frightened, when you see that cobra?
当你在恐惧的那一刻,当你看到眼镜蛇的那一刻,头脑在思考吗?

Or a second later, 'By Jove, how dangerous it is'...
还是在一秒钟后,“老天啊,那是多么危险啊”...

...you run away from it, you kind of throw stones at it...
...
你跑开了,你从远一点的地方...

...from a distance and so on.
...
向它砸石头,等等。

But you're not telling me...
但是你们没有告诉我...

...if you don't mind my repeating it, what is the feeling behind it?
...
如果你们不介意我一直重复说,那背后的感觉是什么样的?

You know that feeling when you get hurt. Right?
你知道当你受到伤害时的感觉。对吗?

You know the feeling when you burn your finger.
你知道当你烧伤你的手指时的感觉。

Right? You know the feeling when somebody hits you.
对吗?你知道当有人打你时的感觉。

I hope nobody does, but somebody hits you.
我希望没有人打你,但是如果有人打了你。

Right? You know the feeling of it.
对吗?你知道那样的感觉。

So what is the feeling of fear?
所以恐惧是什么感觉?

Don't tell me. Carefully think it out.
不要告诉我。用心地想清楚它。

The feeling.
那种感觉。

The feeling when somebody insults you, you know what it means.
当有人侮辱你时的那种感觉,你知道我的意思。

Somebody flatters you, you get... Right?
有人夸赞你,你变得...对吗?

So you know the feeling of all that.
你知道所有那些情况的感觉。

But I am asking you what is the feeling...
但是我在问你那是什么感觉...

...the sensation behind fear?
...
恐惧背后的感觉是什么?

S: You feel frightened.
学:你感到害怕。

K: Yes, old boy, I said that you feel frightened.
克:是的,孩子,我说过了你感到害怕。

But what is the feeling behind it?
但是害怕背后的感觉是什么?

S: Sir, I think it's a feeling of complete confusion.
学:先生,我想那是一种完全迷惑的感觉。

K: A feeling of confusion.
克:一种迷惑的感觉。

What does that word 'confusion' mean?
“迷惑”这个词是什么意思?

You see, you don't think it out.
你看,你没有想清楚。

S: You don't know what to do.
学:你不知道应该做什么。

K: You don't know what to do. Quite right.
克:你不知道应该做什么。非常正确。

Go on, go on, say some more.
继续,继续,再说一些。

S: You don't know if you do something, it will be right or wrong.
学:你不知道如果你采取了行动,会是正确的还是错误的。

You've not had the experience. K: Yes.
你没有那样的经验。克:是的。

So your muscles contract - right?
所以你的肌肉收缩。--对吗?

Your brain is confused, there is a feeling of isolation...
你的头脑很困惑,有一种孤立的感觉...

...you know what that means? S: Yes.
...
你知道那是什么意思吗?学:是的。

K: A feeling of being completely isolated from others.
克:一种被从其他的人当中完全孤立出来的感觉。

You're facing a cobra, facing something dangerous...
你正面对一条眼镜蛇,面对危险...

...and you feel... you shrink. Right?
...
而且你感到...你紧缩起来。对吗?

The feeling...
那种感觉...

S: You are just stunned at that moment.
学:你在那一刻呆若木鸡。

K: Stunned. That's it. Stunned.
克:呆若木鸡。正是那样。呆若木鸡。

When you have fear, you feel stunned...
当你感到恐惧,你会呆若木鸡...

...your nerves are all shrunk. Right?
...
你的神经都紧缩起来。对吗?

You feel you're isolated and so on and so on.
你觉得被孤立起来,等等,等等。

Now, just a minute.
那么,请等一下。

You feel all that, then what do you do?
你感觉到所有那些,接着你做些什么?

She asked that question, she said...
她问了那个问题,她说...

...'Talk about fear'...
...
“请讨论恐惧”...

...fear of passing examinations or not passing. Right?
...
能否通过考试的恐惧。对吗?

Fear of failure, fear of your parents...
失败的恐惧,对你父母的恐惧...

...fear of your educators, fear of snakes - fear.
...
对老师们的恐惧,对蛇的恐惧--恐惧。

Right? You have dozens of fears.
对吗?你有一大堆的恐惧。

Right? Dozens of them.
对吗?一大堆的恐惧。

Agree?
同意吗?

Right?
对吗?

Now, what causes fear?
那么,是什么造成了恐惧?

What is the cause?
原因是什么?

You understand when I am using the word 'cause'?
当我使用“原因”这个词的时候,你们明白它的含义吗?

Do you understand the word, when I use 'cause'?
当我使用“原因”的时候,你们明白这个词的含义吗?

S: Yes.
学:是的。

What is the motivation. K: What is the motivation?
恐惧的动因是什么。克:它的动因是什么?

What is the beginning of fear?
恐惧的源头是什么?

What starts fear?
什么引发了恐惧?

What is the cause, what is the root...
恐惧的成因是什么,它的根源在哪里...

...what is the basis of fear.
...
恐惧的基础是什么。

I have used several words...
我已经用了几个不同的词...

...'cause', 'motive', the 'root'.
...
“成因”,“动因”,“根源”。

Right?
对吗?

S: You suppose when you think that this may happen.
学:你假设,如果你那样想,这样的事情就有可能发生。

You say, 'Suppose I don't pass my exam, what will my parents say?'
你会说,“假设我没有通过考试,我的父母会怎么说呢?”

So you think this might happen and so you feel fear.
那么你想这有可能发生,所以你感到恐惧。

If I don't pass the examination what will my parents think of me.
如果我没有通过考试,我的父母会怎么看我。

K: Yes. Yes.
克:是的,是的。

That is, what will others think of you...
就是那样,别的人会怎么看你...

...if you fail your exam.
...
如果你没有通过考试。

I hope you will all fail!
我希望你们考试都通不过!

S: If you think of the future you then get scared.
学:如果你想到未来,你就开始恐惧了。

K: Now, there are one, two, three talking at once.
克:现在,这里有一个,两个,三个人在同时说话。

S: You think of the future and then...
学:你想到未来,接着就...

K: Wait a minute, wait a minute, wait a minute - stop there.
克:等一下,等一下,等一下--在这里停下来。

What do you mean by the future?
你所说的未来是什么意思?

S: What's going to happen to you.
学:会发生在你身上的事情。

K: What might happen. Right?
克:可能发生的事情。对吗?

If I fail in my examination, and I hope you all will...
如果我没有通过考试,并且我希望你们都没有通过...

...and you think of the future...
...
然后你想到未来...

...what your parents say, what your teachers say.
...
你的父母怎么说,你的老师怎么说。

Right? What do you mean by the future?
对吗?你所说的未来是什么意思?

S: Sir, what might happen. Somebody might hit you, you might be degraded.
学:先生,有可能发生的事情。有人可能会打你,你可能会被贬低。

K: Future. I understand, old boy.
克:未来。我理解,孩子。

What do you mean by future?
你所说的未来是什么意思?

S: What is going to happen in the past? (Laughter)
学:过去将会发生什么事情?(笑声)

K: The past is over!
克:过去已经结束了!

I'm asking you what is the future.
我在问你们未来是什么?

What do you mean by the word?
你所说的那个词是什么意思?

Please do listen - this is important for you.
请认真听我说--这对你们是很重要的。

What do you mean by the future?
你们说的未来是什么意思?

S: What might happen. K: What might happen.
学:可能发生的事情。克:可能发生的事情。

That is, you might - not you, I hope - I might get ill...
那就是说,你可能--不是你,我希望--我可能会生病...

...I might be killed, I might be wounded.
...
我可能会被杀死,我可能会受伤。

That is all the future, isn't it?
那所有的都是未来,不是吗?

...'I might be'. Right?
...
“我可能会”。对吗?

S: When you get scared you think it will happen.
学:当你恐惧的时候,你觉得那是将要发生的事情。

K: Yes.
克:是的。

Now, wait a minute, what is the future, I'm asking you.
那么,等一下,未来是什么,我在问你。

Tomorrow is the future. Isn't it?
明天是未来。不是吗?

Right? S: Yes, sir.
对吗?学:是的,先生。

K: Next second is the future. Next second.
克:下一秒也是未来。下一秒。

Next hour. Right?
下一个钟头。对吗?

So, I'm asking you what do you mean by the future?
所以,我在问你,你所说的未来是什么意思?

Careful. Think it out carefully.
请用心。用心地想明白它。

Don't just say something that comes to your...
不要只是随随便便地说些到嘴边的话...

Future.
未来。

S: Future is when you don't know what is going to happen.
学:未来就是当你不知道将要发生什么的时候。

K: I said that. That means the future.
克:我已经说过那样的话了。那就是未来。

Right? What might happen, what might not happen...
对吗?有可能发生的事情,有可能不发生的事情...

...I hope it will happen, I hope it will not - all that is future.
...
我希望那会发生,我希望那不会发生--所有的那些都是未来。

Right?
对吗?

You might grow taller, I might grow shorter - might, might, might.
你可能会长高,我可能会变矮--可能,可能,可能。

So, the word 'might' implies the future, a possibility.
所以,“可能”这个词隐含着未来,一种可能性。

Right? It might happen.
对吗?那可能会发生。

The roof might fall down.
屋顶可能会掉下来。

I might get ill.
我可能会生病。

All that is implied - future.
所有的那些都隐含其中--未来。

Right? Agreed to that? S: Yes, sir.
对吗?同意我说的吗?学:是的,先生。

K: Now, what is future? That is tomorrow.
克:那么,什么是未来?未来是明天。

Today, it is now 5 minutes past 10...
今天,现在是10点过5...

...and in another 5 minutes it will be 10 minutes past 10- future.
...
那么,5分钟后就是10点过10分了--那是未来。

Think it out. This is important for you. What do you mean by the future?
想明白它。这对你们很重要。你们所说的未来是什么意思?

S: What is going to happen tomorrow.
学:未来就是明天会发生的事情。

K: Darling, we said that dear.
克:亲爱的,我们已经说过了。

We said, future is what might/might not happen.
我们说了,未来就是可能会发生或者不发生的事情。

Future is tomorrow. Right?
未来就是明天。对吗?

Future is the next second. Right?
未来是下一秒钟。对吗?

So, what does that mean - future?
所以,那是什么意思--未来?

It is too complicated for you.
这对你们来说太复杂了。

S: Future is something unknown to you.
学:对你而言,未来就是未知的事物。

K: Is it unknown to you?
克:对你来说是未知吗?

S: At times it might be known to you.
学:有时候你可能是知道的。

If you know what might be happening...
如果你知道什么会发生的话...

...if you know you are going to get into the college or something...
...
如果你知道你会进大学或者其他的事情...

...then you will know what will happen to you.
...
那么你就会知道什么事情会在你身上发生。

K: Yes, if you pass the exam.
克:是的,如果你通过考试的话。

Right?
对吗?

S: When somebody tells you what's going to happen...
学:当有人告诉你将要发生什么的时候...

...then you know the future. K: Yes, old boy.
...
那么你就知道未来了。克:是的,孩子。

We have been through all that...
那些我们都已经说过了...

...when we said 'it might happen' it's always in the future.
...
当时我们说“那有可能发生”那些总是在未来发生。

Right? Right?
对吗?对吗?

Or it may not happen - it's future.
或者那有可能不发生--那就是未来。

It is too difficult for you.
对你们来说,这太难了。

So, fear means either now...
所以,恐惧意味着现在...

...actual fear now, or in the future.
...
现在的真实的恐惧,或者未来的恐惧。

Right? Right?
对吗?对吗?

Are you afraid now?
你们现在恐惧吗?

S: Not now. K: Why?
学:现在没有。克:为什么?

S: Because there is nothing to fear.
学:因为现在没什么可恐惧的。

K: There is nothing to fear. Right?
克:现在没有什么可恐惧的。对吗?

But when you enter the class you'll...
但是当你进入课堂的时候,你会恐惧...

Here nobody is telling you what to do, what not to do...
现在没有人告诉你要做什么,不要做什么...

...what to think, what not to think.
...
该想些什么,不应该想什么。

Nobody is telling you that. Therefore, you don't care.
没有人告诉你那些。因此,你不在乎。

Or you are really listening to find out.
或者你在真正地聆听去弄明白它。

Right? No, you're too young, too small.
对吗?不,你们太年轻了,太小了。

Fear is one of the most difficult things...
要理解恐惧并且从恐惧当中解脱...

...to understand and to be free of it. Right?
...
是最困难的事情之一。对吗?

People have gone to war, killed each other on account of fear.
因为恐惧的缘故,人们去参战,互相杀戮。

You understand? 'I might lose my country...
你们明白吗?“我可能失去我的国家...

...I might lose my property...
...
我可能失去我的财产...

...I might not belong to this group' - you understand?
...
我可能无法属于这个团体”--你们明白吗?

So war, killing, has been going on for 2 million years.
所以战争,杀戮,已经继续了两百万年。

You understand this?
你们明白这一点吗?

For 2 million years human beings have killed each other.
两百万年来,人类在互相杀戮。

S: Why?
学:为什么?

K: Because he and I belong to one tribe.
克:因为他和我属于一个部落。

You and another belong to another tribe.
你和另外一个人属于一个不同的部落。

Right?
对吗?

You want our land or we want your land...
你们想要获得我们的国土,或者我们想要获得你们的国土。

...or we want to steal your property - you follow?
...
或者我们想要窃取你们的财产--你明白吗?

This kind of battle, killing, wounding...
这样的战争,杀戮,伤害...

...maiming each other has been going on for 2 million years.
...
残害彼此的行为已经持续了两百万年。

S: Sir, there is division between us.
学:先生,我们之间是有分别的。

K: Division.
克:分别。

There is India and Pakistan.
印度和巴基斯坦。

That's a division, isn't it?
那是一种分别,不是吗?

So they are willing to kill each other.
所以他们愿意去彼此杀戮。

S: Sir, but why?
学:先生,但是为什么?

K: Why?
克:为什么?

Very simple.
非常简单。

I'm a Pakistani and he is Hindu.
我是巴基斯坦人,而他是印度人。

I want him to become a Muslim.
我希望他变成一个穆斯林信徒。

Right?
对吗?

Or I think my country is bigger, nobler...
或者我认为我的国家更强大,更高尚...

...and so on than his country. S: What do they gain in that?
...
并且在等等的方面都强过他的国家。学:他们在这当中能获得什么呢?

What do they gain in making other people Muslim or whatever they are?
他们想把其他的人变成穆斯林或和他们一样的人,从中能获得什么呢?

K: That's just it. What do we gain from it?
克:正是那样。他们从中能获得什么呢?

You answer me.
你来回答。

They are silly people. Right?
他们是些愚蠢的人。对吗?

No, listen carefully. This is happening in England...
不,用心地听我说。同样的事情发生在英国...

...happening in Germany, in America, Russia.
...
发生在德国,美国,俄罗斯。

It's happening everywhere.
到处都在发生着。

This country is a poor country. Right?
这个国家很贫穷。对吗?

You go down the village and you see appalling poverty...
你到乡村里去,就会看到令人震惊的贫穷...

...and yet they are building tremendous armaments.
...
然而,国家却在大量的制造武器。

Right? Why?
对吗?为什么?

S: Sir, because they want... K: No, carefully listen.
学:先生,因为他们想...克:不,用心听我说。

As long as you're an Indian...
只要你还是一个印度人...

...and you feel you're an Indian you're going to kill somebody.
...
你觉得自己是一个印度人,你就会去杀人。

Right?
对吗?

So, nationalism, racialism, tribalism...
所以,国家主义,种族主义,部落主义...

...as long as that exists you're going to kill somebody...
...
只要那些存在,你们就会去杀人...

...or somebody will come and kill you.
...
或者别人就会来杀你们。

S: Sir, if you have no nationality...
学:先生,如果你没有国籍...

...then what do you identify yourself with?
...
那么你如何定义你的归属呢?

K: If you have no nationality...
克:如果你没有国籍...

...how can you identify yourself with something?
...
你如何归属?

Right?
对吗?

Why do you want to identify...
你为什么要去归属于...

...with India, with America, with Russia - why?
...
印度,归属于美国,归属于俄罗斯--为什么?

S: Sir, I feel secure as being a part of it.
学:先生,作为某个国家的一部分我感到安全。

K: Wait a minute, wait. You feel secure.
克:等一下,等等。你感到安全。

Right? Do you?
对吗?你感到安全吗?

S: But then yet you have your fears of your country being fought for.
学:但是你会恐惧自己的国家被攻打。

If you are a part of something, if you are a person...
如果你是什么的一部分,如果你是一个人...

...and can say you are an Indian or something like that...
...
你可以说你是一个印度人或者类似的话...

...you always have a fear of people coming and attacking you...
...
你总是会恐惧人们会来攻击你...

...or saying that you should be, what you just said...
...
或者告诉你,你应该变成怎样的人,就像您说的...

...or a Muslim or something like that.
...
变成一个穆斯林或者类似的什么人。

K: I don't understand.
克:我不明白你说的话。

S: She said that you feel insecure if you don't have...
学:她说如果你不属于某个国籍...

...a nationality, or if you can't say you are an Indian or an American.
...
你就感到不安全,或者当你不说自己是印度人或者美国人时,同样不安全。

When you say that, you still have the fear of being attacked.
当你那样说了之后,你仍然恐惧会被袭击。

K: Yes. So you are willing to kill me as a Muslim?
克:所以如果我是穆斯林,你就愿意杀了我吗?

Yes? You must be an idiot.
是吗?你一定是个傻瓜。

Why do you want to kill me?
你为什么想要杀死我?

Because I believe in some other god?
因为我信仰其他的上帝吗?

But why do you want to kill me?
但是你为什么想要杀死我呢?

S: Sir, to get a good name.
学:先生,为了获得好的名声。

K: To get a good name, by killing me?
克:为了得到好名声,通过杀掉我吗?

S: It seems that you are more powerful after that.
学:看起来是,杀了你之后,我会更强大。

K: You feel happier for killing me?
克:你因为杀了我而更开心?

S: No, because then you feel you are more powerful.
学:不,因为那之后你觉得你更强大了。

S: You feel more secure because then you've got...
学:你会觉得更安全因为那之后你就获得了...

K: You are all rather a crazy crowd!
克:你们是多么疯狂的一群人啊!

I was invited, if I may talk about it...
人们邀请我,如果我可以谈论这件事的话...

...I hope you don't mind...
...
我希望你们不介意...

...I was invited to speak at the United Nations.
...
人们邀请我去联合国讲话。

You know what that is? S: Yes, sir.
你们知道什么是联合国吗?学:是的,先生。

K: Yes? Yes?
克:知道吗?知道吗?

Are you sure? S: Yes, sir.
你们确定吗?学:是的,先生。

K: Are you sure you are sitting here? S: Yes, sir.
克:你们确定你们正坐在这里吗?学:是的,先生。

K: I was invited to speak at the United Nations...
克:我被邀请去联合国讲话...

...and I spoke for 45 minutes.
...
并且我在那讲了45分钟。

One of the chief organisers of that body...
那个机构的主要组织者之一...

...after I had spoken he gets up and says...
...
在我讲完话之后,他站了起来,说...

...'Great privilege', etc., etc., 'to meet you, sir'...
...
“我真是非常荣幸”,等等,等等,“见到您,先生”...

...and so on, and he says, 'I have worked here...
...
等等的话,接着他说,“我已经在这个组织里工作了...

...in this organisation for 40 years, very hard'.
...40
年的时间,非常不容易”。

You understand what I'm saying?
你们明白我说的话吗?

Forty years he has worked very hard to create, to sustain...
四十年来他一直努力工作,去建立,维持...

...to keep the United Nations going and he says...
...
保证联合国的运转,他说...

...'After 40 years I have learnt not to kill another human being'.
...
“经过40年的时间,我学到了不要去杀人”。

Do you understand what I'm saying?
你们理解我所说的吗?

Are you as dumb as the United Nations?
你和联合国的人一样的愚蠢吗?

Do you understand what I'm saying?
你们理解我正在讲的话吗?

It took him 40 years to learn not to kill another human being.
他用了40年的时间去学习,不要杀死另外一个人类。

Forty years!
四十年的时间!

Do you understand what I'm saying?
你们理解我正在讲的话吗?

Are you going to do the same?
你们要重复那样的事情吗?

S: No, sir.
学:不,先生。

K: I'm not sure.
克:我不能确定。

S: At least now I'm not going to do it.
学:至少我现在不会去杀人。

At least now I don't think I'm going to kill another person.
至少现在我认为我不会去杀人。

But I don't know when I grow up. K: That's right.
但是长大后的事情我不确定。克:正是这样。

You will be equally an idiot, will you?
你将会和那个人一样的愚蠢,是吗?

S: I can't say. K: You're quite right.
学:我不知道。克:你说的非常对。

It's too difficult for you to understand...
对你们来说,要理解恐惧的根源...

...what is the root of fear.
...
那是太困难了。

Much too difficult. There is fear.
实在是太困难了。恐惧存在。

You always control it or run away from it or suppress it or cry.
你总是控制它,逃开,压抑它或者大声叫喊。

Right?
对吗?

But perhaps there is another way of dealing with it altogether.
但是或许有另一种全然面对它的方式。

Do you want to know?
你们想要知道吗?

But that requires a great deal of thinking...
但是那需要大量的思考...

...a great deal of investigating.
...
大量的探索。

How long do you spend studying mathematics...
你们花多长时间学习数学...

...or biology or science, how many years?
...
或者生物,科学,你们用了几年的时间?

Years, don't you?
很多年,是吗?

School, college, university.
学校,学院,大学。

You spend about 20 or 25 years going through all that.
你们花20年到25年的时间完成所有那些学习。

Right?
对吗?

And you won't even spend ten minutes or five minutes...
然而你们甚至不会花十分钟或者五分钟的时间...

...to find out if you can be free of fear.
...
去探索你们能否从恐惧当中解脱。

You spend twenty years in some beastly subject...
你们花费二十年的时间学习一些残忍的科目...

...and you won't even spend 5 minutes to understand the nature of fear.
...
却不愿意花五分钟的时间去理解恐惧的本质。

That's correct. Right?
正是那样。对吗?

S: Yes, sir.
学:是的,先生。

K: So, you have to learn a great deal...
克:所以,你们必须要学习很多事情...

...you have to understand a great deal...
...
你们必须要理解很多事情...

...what is the root of fear.
...
什么是恐惧的根源。

I will tell you very briefly.
我会非常简要地告诉你们。

Fear is involved in time - tomorrow, might happen.
恐惧与时间紧密联系在一起--明天,将要发生的事情。

Right?
对吗?

So you have to investigate what time is.
所以你们必须去探索什么是时间。

That's too difficult for you.
那对你们来说太难了。

Not only by the clock, but what time is.
不单单是钟表上的时间,而是,时间是什么。

You plant a seed, it takes time to grow.
你种下一粒种子,种子需要时间才会生长。

Right?
对吗?

You have a baby, it takes time to become an adolescent.
你有一个孩子,孩子需要时间才会变成青少年。

One is unhealthy, then to become healthy takes time.
一个人身体不健康,那么需要时间他才能恢复健康。

Right?
对吗?

You are learning mathematics or physics...
你在学习数学或者物理...

...or whatever you are learning...
...
或者任何其他你在学习的科目...

...and to be able to pass an exam in that subject takes time.
...
要想通过那个科目的考试,是需要一定时间的。

It takes time for you to get from here to Madanapalle...
你要从这里到默德讷伯莱,是需要花费时间的...

...or to your home. You understand?
...
或者回到你的家是需要时间的。你们明白吗?

Time is very important in one's life.
时间在人的一生当中非常重要。

Not only to go from here to there but also to grow...
不但从这里到那里需要时间,成长也需要时间...

...physically grow and then inwardly to grow.
...
身体的成长和内在的成长。

All that takes time.
所有的那些都需要时间。

And it has taken time...
并且那被称作进化的过程...

...from the first man till now, 2 million years, called evolution.
...
从第一个人类直到今日的人类的进化,是需要时间的。

Right?
对吗?

So, your whole life is bound by time.
所以,你的整个人生都受到时间的限制。

You understand?
你们明白吗?

All your life is bound by time.
你的整个人生都受时间的限制。

You're living now, you might die.
你现在活着,但是你可能会死去。

There is a long number of years.
人生可能有很多年。

Right?
对吗?

So, our whole life is entangled...
所以,我们整个人生都纠缠于...

...is concerned with time.
...
都与时间相关。

You will pass your exams, you might not pass...
你会通过各种考试,你也可能无法通过...

Time.
时间。

Then we have to enquire what is time.
那么我们必须要询问什么是时间。

It is too difficult.
这太难了。

S: Time is relative, isn't it?
学:时间是相对的,不是吗?

K: I know that, I said that, lady.
克:我知道,我已经那样说过了,女士。

I did not purposely use that word because 'relative'...
我有意没有使用那个词,因为“相对的(relative)...

...means something else also, 'He is my relative'.
...
还有其它的含义,“他是我的亲戚(relative)”。

Now just a minute.
那么,请等一下。

Time is relative, but what do you mean by time?
时间是相对的,但是你所说的时间是什么意思?

Sir, there you are, grown-up people who are going to pass exams...
先生,你们那些成年人,你们要通过各种考试...

...who are going to get your jobs, get married.
...
你们要找工作,结婚。

All that takes time. Right?
所有那些事都需要时间。对吗?

So, is man bound forever to time?
所以,一个人永远都受限于时间吗?

No, this is too difficult.
不,这太难了。

What do you say, sir?
你怎么想,先生?

Do you understand? S: I didn't quite understand.
你明白吗?学:我不是完全明白。

K: You don't quite understand. Look, you are very small now.
克:你不是完全明白。听我说,你现在年龄很小。

You will grow up, to be tall, to be...
你会长大,长高,成为某个人...

...so that takes time, doesn't it?
...
那需要时间,不是吗?

If you are ill it takes time to get well.
如果你生病了,需要时间康复。

It takes time to get up in the morning, to get ready...
早上起床需要时间,需要时间做准备...

...all the rest of it, to bathe and all that - it takes time.
...
还有其他所有的事情,洗澡及其他--都需要时间。

It takes time to learn a subject, to learn a skill...
学习一门科目需要时间,学习一项技术也需要...

...to learn to plant a seed in the garden and see it grow.
...
在花园里种下一粒种子然后看它成长也需要时间。

Everything in life takes time.
生命中的每一件事情都需要时间。

Right? S: Yes, sir.
对吗?学:是的,先生。

K: And man is bound by time...
克:并且人类受时间所限...

...to go from here to there.
...
从这里到那里需要时间。

Where do you live?
你住在哪里?

S: Sir, in Bombay. K: Bombay.
学:先生,我住在孟买。克:孟买。

It took time for you to come from Bombay to Rishi Valley.
你从孟买到瑞希山谷来需要时间。

S: Yes, sir.
学:是的,先生。

K: Two nights or one night or whatever it was.
克:那需要一个晚上或者两个晚上或者无论多长时间。

And also to pass your exams...
并且要通过各种考试...

...to get a job and all that takes time.
...
找到一份工作,所有那些事都需要时间。

So, you are bound by time.
那么,你是受时间所限的。

Right? Clear? S: Yes.
对吗?清楚吗?学:是的。

K: Clear? Right.
克:清楚吗?好的。

That means - I won't go into all this.
那意味着--我不会深入所有那些事情。

It's too complex for you to understand.
对你们而言那太复杂了,难以理解。

Whatever you do is bound by time, which is, the past says...
无论你做什么都是受限于时间的,也就是说,过去会对你说...

...'You don't do that', the past says, 'Don't do that'.
...
“不要做那件事”,过去会说,“不要做那件事”。

If you do you will be punished or you will gain.
如果你那样做就会受到惩罚,或者你会有所收获。

So, the past is controlling you now.
所以,过去在控制现在的你。

Get it?
明白吗?

Understand it very simply first.
首先非常简单地去理解它。

The past is controlling what you do now.
过去在控制你现在所做的事情。

'I must not do that', you have had the same experience...
“我一定不能做那件事”,你曾经有过相同的经历...

...and the past says, 'Don't do it again, you will get ill'.
...
过去说,“不要再那样做了,你会生病的”。

The past is shaping your thinking...
过去在塑造你的思想...

...which means the past means the time.
...
那也表明过去意味着时间。

So, time is shaping what you do now...
所以,时间塑造着你现在所做的事情...

...and the future depends on what you do now.
...
并且未来取决于你现在所做的事情。

S: Yes, sir. K: Clear?
学:是的,先生。克:清楚吗?

Think it out, old boy. Think it out carefully.
想明白它,孩子。用心地想明白它。

The past is teaching you, telling you what to do now...
过去在教导你,告诉你现在要做些什么...

...and what you do now will shape the future.
...
而你现在所做的事情将会塑造你的未来。

Right? So the future is being now put together, manufactured.
对吗?所以未来是由全部的现在合成的,制造出来的。

S: At this moment. K: At this moment.
学:就在这一刻。克:就在这一刻。

Get it? S: Yes, sir.
明白吗?学:是的,先生。

K: Are you sure? S: Yes, sir.
克:你确定吗?学:是的,先生。

K: So the past controls the present...
克:所以过去控制着现在...

...and the present is shaping the future.
...
现在塑造了未来。

So careful, think it out.
所以请用心地,想明白它。

So the future is now being manufactured.
所以未来就是所有现在制造而成的。

Get it? S: Yes, sir.
明白吗?学:是的,先生。

K: So the future is now being formed.
克:所以未来是由现在构成的。

Get it? S: Yes, sir.
明白吗?学:是的,先生。

K: I wonder if you do. S: Sir, I do.
克:我不确定你们是否明白了。学:先生,我明白了。

K: So what you do now is most important.
克:所以你现在做的事情才是最重要的。

Not what you will do tomorrow.
而不是你明天要做的事情。

Get it?
明白吗?

What you do now is all important...
你现在所做的事情是最重要的...

...because that is going to make your future.
...
因为那就创造出你的未来。

Get it? S: Yes, sir.
明白吗?学:是的,先生。

S: Sir, is time limited? K: Don't bother, old lady.
学:先生,时间有局限吗?克:不要费时去考虑那些了,年轻的女士。

Don't ask abstract questions...
不要问抽象的问题...

...because I can give you an abstract answer...
...
因为我可能会给你一个抽象的回答...

...but it has no meaning. Time is always limited.
...
但是那样的回答是没有意义的。时间总是局限的。

So, is there a way - this is much too difficult...
所以,有没有一种方式--这实在是太难了...

...is there a way of being free of time?
...
有没有一种方式可以从时间当中解脱?

S: No, sir.
学:没有,先生。

K: Why do you say 'no'?
克:你为什么说“没有”?

S: Sir, when one is living there is no way, but maybe after death.
学:先生,当一个人还活着的时候是不可能的,但是死后有可能。

K: Do you know what death means?
克:你知道死亡意味着什么吗?

S: No, sir. K: Then don't use that word.
学:不知道,先生。克:那么就不要用那个词。

Ask yourself a question.
向你自己提问。

Don't try to answer it.
不要试图回答那个问题。

Ask yourself.
问你自己。

Which is, your brain inside the skull...
那就是,你头颅之内的头脑...

...is put together through two million years...
...
是在两百万年当中形成的...

...conditioned, shaped, moulded, experience, knowledge...
...
它受到限制,被塑造成形,被铸造,经验,知识...

...all that is there.
...
所有那些都在头脑中。

Now, can you now do what is right...
那么,你现在可以做正确的事情吗...

...so that it will be right all the way along?
...
那么从此以后,它将会一直是正确的。

You understand my question? S: Yes, sir.
你理解我的问题吗?学:是的,先生。

K: This is too difficult. Right?
克:这太困难了。对吗?

S: Sir, what's the true meaning of concentration and attention?
学:先生,专注和全神贯注的真实含义是什么?

K: Do you really want to know? S: Yes, sir.
克:你真的想要知道吗?学:是的,先生。

K: Why?
克:为什么?

Think it out. Think it out.
想明白它。想明白它。

Did somebody else tell you to ask that question?
是否有人让你来问那个问题?

S: Yes, sir. K: Ah, that's it.
学:是的,先生。克:哦,正是如此。

S: My father told me that you had once made a comment...
学:我父亲告诉我您有一次曾经说过...

...that you need attention more than concentration.
...
你需要更多的全神贯注而不是专注。

K: Your father told you. Why?
克:你的父亲告诉你这点。为什么?

Do you know what concentration is?
你知道什么是专注吗?

Listen, I'm your teacher...
听我说,我是你的老师...

...your educator...
...
你的教育者...

...you are looking out of the window, much more interesting...
...
你朝窗外看去,窗外的一切比你正在读的书...

...than at the page.
...
要有趣的多。

Right? Right? S: Yes, sir.
对吗?对吗?学:是的,先生。

K: I'm the teacher and I say, 'Please, look at the page'...
克:我是老师,我说,“请你,看你的书本”...

...and you don't want to look at the page...
...
但是你不想看你的书本...

...but you want to look at the bird out there.
...
你想看窗外的那只小鸟。

Right?
对吗?

So, he says, 'Look, if you want to learn, look at the page'.
所以,他说,“听着,如果你想学到东西,请看你的书”。

And he gets annoyed if you keep on looking at the window.
并且如果你不断地朝窗外看,他就会生气。

So, he comes up and shakes you, or pulls your ear...
那么,他会走过来,摇晃你的身体,或者揪你的耳朵...

...or pulls your hair or beats you up.
...
或者揪你的头发,或者打你一顿。

Nobody beats you up here, I hope. No.
我希望,在这里没有人打你们。没有。

So what happens?
那么会发生什么?

You want to look out of the window but somebody says...
你想朝窗外看,但是有个人说...

...'Look at the page'.
...
“请看你的书”。

So you have a conflict, don't you?
所以你就有了冲突,不是吗?

You want to look out there and you want to look at the page.
你想朝窗外看,你也想看你的书。

So you have a conflict.
所以你就有了冲突。

Right? S: Yes, sir.
对吗?学:是的,先生。

K: So conflict goes not necessarily with concentration.
克:所以冲突不一定和专注一起出现。

Right?
对吗?

I want to concentrate on the page.
我想专注于这本书。

I force myself to pay a great deal of notice to the page...
我强迫自己竭尽全力注意书的内容...

...a great deal of concentration, that means I don't try...
...
非常的专注,那意味着没有试图去做...

...to think of anything else but what is on that page.
...
去思考其他的事情,而是专注于书的内容。

In that process there is a great deal of resistance...
在那个过程中,存在着非常多的抵抗...

...conflict, because I want to look out there...
...
冲突,因为我想要朝窗外看...

...but I have to look at this page.
...
然而我必须要看书。

You understand?
你们明白吗?

So there is a great deal of conflict, a great deal of effort.
所以其中有非常多的冲突,非常多的努力。

I won't go into it.
我在这里不赘述了。

Whereas attention has no effort.
然而全神贯注是不费力的。

Whoever asked you to ask me that question, tell them that.
无论是谁让你问我这个问题,告诉他那些。

In attention there is no effort at all.
在全神贯注当中是完全无需努力的。

You attend.
你只是关注。

We have been together this morning for an hour.
今天早晨,我们已经一起度过了一个小时。

Do you want to go on?
你们还想继续吗?

S: Yes, sir.
学:是的,先生。

K: Yes? Why?
克:还想继续?为什么?

S: It's interesting. K: It's more fun!
学:这很有意思。克:这更有趣一些!

And there is a class waiting for you...
而且你们接下来还要上课...

...and you don't want to go to the class but you want to be entertained!
...
并且你们不想上课,而是想在这里找些娱乐!

Right?
对吗?

Have you ever looked at those flowers?
你们曾经看过那些鲜花吗?

S: Yes, sir.
学:是的,先生。

K: Have you looked at them? Look at them.
克:你们看过那些花吗?请看一看。

Take time and trouble to look at those flowers for a minute.
花费时间和精力去看那些花,看一分钟。

Look at it.
请好好看一看。

Look at the mixture of colours, and the beauty of it...
看一看那糅合在一起的色彩,还有它的美...

...the setting of it, the light on it.
...
它的摆放,洒在鲜花上的光。

Now, what does that mean to you?
那么,那对你有什么意义吗?

Don't say, 'beauty', or... What does it mean to you?
不要说,“美好”,或者...那对你有什么意义?

When you look at all that spread of colour...
当你看着它展现出的各种色彩...

...and the variations in that colour...
...
色彩中的变化...

...the green against the red, the further dark green...
...
绿色衬托着红色,更深一些的绿色...

...and all that, what does it mean to you?
...
以及所有那些,那对你有什么意义吗?

S: What does it mean to you, sir? K: I will tell you in a minute.
学:对您来说有什么意义,先生?克:我等一下来告诉你。

I asked you the question first.
我先问了你这个问题。

S: Sir, it means that why do we want...
学:先生,那意味着我们为什么想要...

...all these houses and what we call mechanical things...
...
所有那些房子和那些我们称作机械化的东西...

...when we've got all this from natural life.
...
如果你已经从大自然当中得到所有这些。

K: It is much easier to look at a mechanical thing.
克:去看一件机械化的事物是更加容易的事情。

But to look at nature, the hills and the shadows...
但是要观看大自然,那些山丘和树影...

...the rocks, the shape of the rocks...
...
那些岩石,岩石的形状...

...the fields, how they are sown, all in a line, or mangoes growing...
...
那些田野,人们如何播种,一列列的田埂,或者芒果正在生长...

...and the birds and the butterflies and the green earth...
...
还有小鸟和蝴蝶还有绿色的大地...

...the shadow, the waterless stream and so on.
...
树荫,干涸的小河等等。

Look at it.
看看那些。

Look at the beauty of it, the greatness of it...
看看它们的美,其中的伟大...

...the majesty of those rocks.
...
那些雄伟的岩石。

But you are all concentrated on books.
但是你们所有人都专注于那些书本。

Right?
对吗?

On books, passing exams...
读书,通过考试...

...getting a job, getting married and having a house.
...
找到一份工作,结婚还有拥有一栋房子。

That's all you are interested in. Right?
那些就是你们所感兴趣的所有事情了。对吗?

Right, sir?
对吗,先生?

But beyond the house there is the horizon.
但是越过房子的远处,还存在着一道地平线。

Right?
对吗?

Beyond the house are all these marvellous hills...
越过房子的远处,还有美丽的山丘...

...and beauty and greatness.
...
还有美景和大自然的宏伟。

Sir, is that enough for this morning?
先生,今天早晨讲这么多可以吗?

Yes?
可以吗?

Are you going to have a nice day?
你们会度过美好的一天吗?

S: Yes, sir. K: Yes, sir? Have a nice day.
学:是的,先生。克:是的,先生?祝你们有美好的一天。

S: Thank you, sir. K: Enjoy yourself. Right?
学:谢谢您,先生。克:请享受生活。好吗?

Tell the class to go ahead!
和要上的课说,去见鬼吧!

You know what I am inciting you?
你们知道我在煽动你们做什么吗?

You know what that means? S: No, sir.
你们知道那是什么意思吗?学:不,先生。

K: Inciting you - to blow up.
克:煽动你们--爆发出来。

You can't.
你们做不到。

Don't blow up with guns and dynamite as they are doing.
请不要像那些人一样,用枪支和炸药去爆发。

Have a good day. Have a nice day.
祝你们度过很好的一天。祝你们度过美好的一天。

Right? Have a happy day.
好吗?祝你们度过幸福的一天。

It's a beautiful morning.
这是一个美丽的早晨。

Enjoy it.
享受它。

All right, sir.
好的,先生。

Being nobody, going nowhere.

返回列表 回复 发帖