返回列表 发帖

THE ONLY REVOLUTION CALIFORNIA PART 5/《唯一的革命》 加利福尼亚 第五篇

THE ONLY REVOLUTION CALIFORNIA PART 5
《唯一的革命》 加利福尼亚 第五篇

It had been raining quite a bit during the night, and now, early in the morning as you were getting up, there was the strong smell of sumac, sage, and damp earth. It was red earth, and red earth seems to give a stronger smell than brown earth. Now the sun was on the hills with that extraordinary colour of burnt-sienna, and every tree and every bush was sparkling washed clean by last night's rain, and everything was bursting with joy. It hadn't rained for six or eight months, and you can imagine how the earth was rejoicing, and not only the earth but everything on it - the huge trees, the tall eucalyptus, the pepper trees and the live-oaks. The birds seemed to have a different song that morning, and as you watched the hills and the distant blue mountains, you were somehow lost in them. You didn't exist, neither did those around you. There was only this beauty, this immensity, only the spreading, widening earth. That morning, out of those hills that went on for miles and miles, came a tranquillity which met your own quietness. It was like the earth and the heavens meeting, and the ecstasy was a benediction. The same evening, as you walked up the canyon into the hills, the red earth was damp under your feet, soft, yielding, and full of promise. You went up the steep incline for many miles, and then came down suddenly. As you turned the corner you came upon that complete silence which was already descending on you, and as you entered the deep valley it became more penetrating, more urgent, more insistent. There was no thought, only that silence. As you walked down, it seemed to cover the whole earth, and it was astonishing how every bird and tree became still. There was no breeze among the trees and with the darkness they were withdrawing into their solitude. It is strange how during the day they would welcome you, and now, with their fantastic shapes, they were distant, aloof and withdrawn. Three hunters went by with their powerful bows and arrows, electric torches strapped to their foreheads. They were out to kill the night birds and seemed to be utterly impervious to the beauty and the silence about them. They were intent only on the kill, and it seemed as though everything was watching them, horrified, and full of pity.

夜里下了不少雨,而现在是清晨,当你起床的时候,闻到一股强烈的漆树、鼠尾草和潮湿泥土的气味。泥土是红色的,而红土发出的气味似乎比黄土更浓烈。现在太阳爬上了上坡,发出那种不寻常的灼烧过的赭色,每棵树和每丛灌木都被昨夜的雨洗刷得晶晶亮,一切都喷涌着快乐。有六个月或八个月没下过雨了,你能想象到大地现在是多么欢欣,不仅仅是土地,还有土地上的一切——大树们,高高的桉树、胡椒树和生机勃勃的橡树。鸟儿们今天早上似乎唱着一首别样的歌,而当你望着丘陵和遥远的蓝色山脉,你似乎迷失其中。你并不存在,你周围的那一切也不存在。只有这种美、这种无限,只有铺展开的宽广大地。那天早上,从绵延数英里的群山中传出一种与你内心的寂静相遇的安宁。就像大地和天空相遇了,那狂喜是一种至福。同一天的傍晚,当你走上峡谷、走进群山,潮湿的红土在你脚下,细腻柔软,充满了希望。你沿着陡峭的斜坡向上走了数英里,然后忽然往下走。走过转角时,你遭遇了那已经降临你的完满寂静,而当你进入深深的山谷,那寂静变得更加有穿透力、更加急切、更加坚持。没有思想,只有那寂静。当你走下来,它似乎覆盖了整个地球,而令人吃惊的是所有鸟儿和树木不知怎地都变得安静。树丛里没有微风,在黑暗中它们回归到自己的孤独中。奇妙的是白天的时候它们是那么欢迎你,而现在,带着迷人的轮廓,它们显得遥远、淡漠而内向。三个猎人拿着强有力的弓箭走过去,额头上绑着电子火把。他们出来猎杀夜出活动的鸟,他们似乎对周围的美和寂静完全无动于衷。他们只专注于猎杀,而万物似乎都在看着他们,充满了惊骇和遗憾。

That morning a group of young people had come to the house. There were about thirty of them, students from various universities. They had grown up in this climate, and were strong, well fed, tall, and enthusiastic. Only one or two of them sat on chairs, most of us were on the floor, and the girls in their mini-skirts sat uncomfortably. One of the boys spoke, with quivering lips, and with his head down.

那天早上一群年轻人来到了这所房子。他们大约有三十个人,是来自各个大学的学生。他们成长于这个气候中,强壮、营养充足、高大而热情。他们中只有一两个人坐在椅子上,我们大都坐在地板上,而穿着迷你裙的女孩们坐得很不舒服。其中一个男孩嘴唇颤抖,低着头在说话。

"I want to live a different kind of life. I don't want to be caught in sex and drugs and the rat race. I want to live out of this world, and yet I am caught in it. I have sex, and the next day I am utterly depressed. I know I want to live peacefully, with love in my heart, but I am torn by my urges, by the pull of the society in which I live. I want to obey these urges, yet I rebel against them. I want to live at the mountain top yet I am always descending into the valley, for my life is there. I don't know what to do. I'm getting bored with everything. My parents can't help me, nor can the professors with whom I sometimes try to discuss these matters. They are as confused and miserable as I am, more so in fact, because they are much older."

“我想过一种不同的生活。我不想困在性和毒品以及毫无意义的竞争中。我想生活于这个世界之外,但是我依然受困于其中。我有性行为,可第二天我就极其沮丧。我知道我想平和地生活,内心充满爱,但是我被自己的冲动、被我生活于其中的社会撕扯着、影响着。我想听从这些冲动,然而我抗拒它们。我想生活在高山之巅,然而我总是沦落到山谷里,因为我的生活就在那里。我不知道该怎么办。我对一切都开始厌倦。我的父母帮不了我,那些我偶尔试图与其探讨这些事情的教授们也帮不了我。他们像我一样困惑和可怜,事实上还要更甚,因为他们的年纪要大得多。”

What is important is not to come to any conclusion, or any decision for or against sex, not to get caught in conceptual ideologies. Let us look at the whole picture of our existence. The monk has taken a vow of celibacy because he thinks that to gain his heaven he has to shun contact with a woman; but for the rest of his life is struggling against his own physical demands: he is in conflict with heaven and with earth, and spends the rest of his days in darkness, seeking light. Each one of us is caught in this ideological battle, just like the monk, burning with desire and trying to suppress it for the promise of heaven. We have a physical body and it has its demands. They are encouraged and influenced by the society in which we live, by the advertisements, by the half-naked girls, by the insistence on fun, amusement, entertainment, and by the morality of society, the morality of the social order, which is disorder and immorality. We are physically stimulated - more and tastier food, drink, television. The whole of modern existence focuses your attention on sex. You are stimulated in every way - by books, by talk, and by an utterly permissive society. All this surrounds you; it's no good merely shutting your eyes to it. You have to see this whole way of life with its absurd beliefs and divisions, and the utter meaninglessness of a life spent in an office or a factory. And at the end of it all there is death. You have to see all this confusion very clearly.

重要的是不做出任何结论,不做出支持或反对性的任何决定,也不困在观念性的意识形态里。让我们来看看我们生活的整个画面。僧侣宣誓独身,因为他认为要到达他的天堂就必须避开与女人的接触;但是他的余生都在与自己的生理冲动交战:他困在了与天堂和尘世的冲突中,在黑暗中度过他剩下的日子,想要寻找光明。我们每个人都困在这观念之战中,就像那个僧人一样,备受欲望煎熬,为了天堂的承诺努力压制欲望。我们有个物理身体,而它有自身的需求。它们被我们生活于其中的社会、被广告、被半裸的女郎、被对享乐、消遣和娱乐的执取、被社会的道德体系、被社会秩序的道德观所鼓励、所影响,而这道德正是失序和不道德。我们被从生理上刺激着——更多更美味的食物、饮料和电视。整个现代生活把我们的注意力聚焦在性上。这一切包围着你;仅仅对此闭上双眼毫无益处。你得看到这整个生活方式及其荒谬的信念和划分,以及在办公室或者工厂里度过一生的毫无意义。而在这一切的末尾就是死亡。你必须非常清晰地看到所有这一切困惑。

Now look out of that window and see those marvellous mountains, freshly washed by last night's rain, and that extraordinary light of California which exists nowhere else. See the beauty of the light on those hills. You can smell the clean air and the newness of the earth. The more alive you are to it, the more sensitive you are to all this immense, incredible light and beauty, the more you are with it - the more your perception is heightened. That is also sensuous, just like seeing a girl. You can't respond with your senses to this mountain and then cut them off when you see the girl; in this way you divide life, and in this division there is sorrow and conflict. When you divide the mountaintop from the valley, you are in conflict. This doesn't mean that you avoid conflict or escape from it, or get so lost in sex or some other appetite that you cut yourself off from conflict. The understanding of conflict doesn't mean that you vegetate or become like a cow.

现在看看那扇窗子的外面,看看那刚刚被昨夜的雨洗刷过的壮丽山脉,还有别处没有的加州那奇特的阳光。看看那些丘陵上的光线的美。你能嗅到清新的空气和大地的新香。你对此越关注,你对这无限的不可思议的光和美就越敏感,你就更密切地与之同在——你的觉知程度就越高。那也是感官快乐,就像看到一个女孩一样。你无法用感觉来回应这山脉,然后当你看到女孩的时候就切断感觉;这样的话你就分割了生活,在这种分割中就有悲伤和冲突。当你把山顶与山谷分开,你就陷入了冲突。这并不意味着你避开冲突或从中逃离,也不意味着你如此沉湎于性或另一种欲望中因而切断了冲突。对冲突的了解并不意味着你活得像棵植物或者变成了一头奶牛。

To understand all this is not to be caught in it, not to depend on it. It means never to deny anything, never to come to any conclusion or to reach any ideological, verbal state, or principle, according to which you try to live. The very perception of this whole map which is being unfolded is already intelligence. It is this intelligence that will act and not a conclusion, a decision or an ideological principle.

要了解这一切,就不能陷入其中,不能依赖它。这意味着永远不去拒绝任何东西,永远不做出任何结论或达到任何观念上、语言上的状态或原则,并试图根据这些原则来生活。对展开的这整个版图的洞察本身,就已经是智慧了。起作用的正是这种智慧,而不是一个结论、决定或者观念上的原则。

Our bodies have been made dull, just as our minds and hearts have been dulled, by our education, by our conformity to the pattern which society has set and which denies the sensitivity of the heart. It sends us to war, destroying all our beauty, tenderness and joy. The observation of all this, not verbally or intellectually but actually, makes our body and mind highly sensitive. The body will then demand the right kind of food; then the mind will not be caught in words, in symbols, in platitudes of thought. Then we shall know how to live both in the valley and on the mountaintop; then there will be no division or contradiction between the two.

我们的身体已经被我们的教育、被我们对社会设定的否定心灵敏感性的模式的遵从变得迟钝,就像我们的头脑和心灵也已经变得迟钝一样。它将我们送上战场,破坏了我们所有的美、温柔和喜悦。不是从语言上或智力上而是真正地观察到这一切,就使我们的身体和头脑变得高度敏感。于是身体就会要求正确的食物;于是头脑就不会困在语言中、符号中和思想的平庸中。于是我们就会知道怎样既在山谷中又在高山之巅生活;于是这两者之间的划分或者矛盾就都没有了。

返回列表 回复 发帖