返回列表 发帖

THE ONLY REVOLUTION INDIA PART 13/《唯一的革命》 印度 第十三篇

THE ONLY REVOLUTION INDIA PART 13
《唯一的革命》 印度 第十三篇

"I want to know God," he said vehemently; he almost shouted it. The vultures were on the usual tree, and the train was rattling across the bridge, and the river flowed on - here it was very wide, very quiet and very deep. Early that morning you could smell the water from a distance; high on the bank overlooking the river you could smell it - the freshness, the cleanliness of it in the morning air. The day had not yet spoilt it. The parrots were screeching across the window, going to the fields, and later they would return to the tamarind. The crows, by the dozen, were crossing the river, high in the air, and they would come down on the trees and among the fields across the river. It was a clear morning of winter, cold but bright, and there was not a cloud in the sky. As you watched the light of the early morning sun on the river, meditation was going on. The very light was part of that meditation when you looked at the bright dancing water in the quiet morning - not with a mind that was translating it into some meaning, but with eyes that saw the light and nothing else.

“我想要知道神,”他热烈地说;几乎是喊了出来。秃鹫们落在通常的那棵树上,火车在咔嗒咔嗒地穿过那座桥,河水向前流去——这里的河面很宽,很安静,也很深。那天清晨,你可以远远地嗅到河水;在高高的岸边俯瞰着河水,你能够闻到它——在清晨的空气中河水的那种清新和干净的味道。白天还没有把它破坏掉。鹦鹉们尖叫着飞过窗户,飞向田野,晚些时候它们会回到那棵罗望子树上。成打的乌鸦正从天上高高地飞越河面,它们会落在河那边的树丛上和田野里。当你看着清晨的阳光洒在河面上,冥想在继续。当你看着安静的早晨里那舞动着的明亮河水,这光本身就是冥想的一部分——不是用把它诠释成某种含义的头脑来冥想,而是用只看到阳光而没看到其他任何东西的眼睛。

Light, like sound, is an extraordinary thing. There is the light that painters try to put on a canvas; there is the light that cameras capture; there is the light of a single lamp in a dark night, or the light that is on the face of another, the light that lies behind the eyes. The light that the eyes see is not the light on the water; that light is so different, so vast that it cannot enter into the narrow field of the eye. That light, like sound, moved endlessly - outward and inward - like the tide of the sea. And if you kept very still, you went with it, not in imagination or sensuously; you went with it unknowingly, without the measure of time.

光,就像声音,是一种非凡的东西。有画家试图表现在画布上的光线;有相机捕捉到的光线;有黑夜里一盏孤灯的光亮,或者另一个人脸上的光芒,还有眼睛深处的光亮。眼睛看到的光不是水面上的光;那光是如此不同、如此宽广,以至于它无法进入眼睛那狭窄的视野。那光,就像声音,无止境地运动着——从外到内——就像大海的潮汐。如果你保持安静,你就会随它而去,不是在幻想中或感官上的愉悦;你不知不觉地随它而去,完全没有了时间的标尺。

The beauty of that light, like love, is not to be touched, not to be put into a word. But there it was - in the shade, in the open, in the house, on the window across the way, and in the laughter of those children. Without that light what you see is of so little importance, for the light is everything; and the light of meditation was on the water. It would be there in the evening again, during the night, and when the sun rose over the trees, making the river golden. Meditation is that light in the mind which lights the way for action; and without that light there is no love.

那光的美,就像爱,无法被触及,无法被诉诸语言。但是它就在那儿——在树荫下,在空地上,在房子里,在走道那边的窗子上,在那些孩子的笑声中。如果没有那光,你所看到的就意义甚微,因为光就是一切;而冥想的光就在水面上。在晚上和夜里,还有当太阳爬上树丛,把河水变成金色时,它又会出现在那儿。冥想是心灵之光,会照亮行动的道路;而如果没有那光,就没有爱。

He was a big man, clean-shaven, and his head was shaven too. We sat on the floor in that little room overlooking the river. The floor was cold, for it was winter. He had the dignity of a man who possesses little and who is not greatly frightened of what people say.

他是个大块头,不蓄须,他的头发也剃光了。我们坐在那个小房间的地板上,俯视着河水。地板很冷,因为已经是冬天了。他有着一个并不富有而且不太害怕人们说什么的人的尊严。

"I want to know God. I know it's not the fashionable thing nowadays. The students, the coming generation with their revolts, with their political activities, with their reasonable and unreasonable demands, scoff at all religion. And they are quite right too, for look what the priests have done with it! Naturally the younger generation do not want anything of it. To them, what the temples and churches stand for is the exploitation of man. They distrust completely the hierarchical priestly outlook - with the saviours, the ceremonies, and all that nonsense. I agree with them. I have helped some of them to revolt against it all. But I still want to know God. I have been a Communist but I left the party long ago, for the Communists, too, have their gods, their dogmas and theoreticians. I was really a very ardent Communist, for at the beginning they promised something - a great, a real revolution. But now they have all the things the Capitalists have; they have gone the way of the world. I have dabbled in social reform and have been active in politics, but I have left all that behind because I don't see that man will ever be free of his despair and anxiety and fear through science and technology. Perhaps there's only one way. I'm not in any way superstitious and I don't think I have any fear of life. I have been through it all and, as you see, I have still many years before me. I want to know what God is. I have asked some of the wandering monks, and those who everlastingly say, God is, you have only to look, and those who become mysterious and offer some method. I am wary of all those traps. So here I am, for I feel I must find out."

“我想知道神。我知道现今这不是件时髦的事。学生们、未来的一代带着他们的反叛、带着他们的政治活动以及合理或不合理的要求,嘲笑一切宗教。而他们也很正确,因为看看僧侣们都做了什么就知道了!年轻的一代当然一点儿也不想要那些东西。对他们来说,寺庙和教堂代表的是对人们的剥削。他们完全不信任僧侣的等级观念——包括救主、仪式以及所有那些无稽之谈。我赞同他们。我帮助过他们中的一些人去反抗这些。但我还是想知道神。我曾是个共产主义者,但是很久以前我就退党了,因为共产主义者也有他们的神、他们的教条和理论家。我曾是个非常热情的共产主义者,因为一开始他们承诺了些东西——一场伟大的真正的革命。但是现在他们有了资本主义者有的一切;他们已经走上了这个世界的道路。我曾涉足社会改革,并活跃于政治,但是我把那一切都抛在了身后,因为我发现,通过科学和技术人类永远无法摆脱绝望和焦虑以及恐惧。也许只有一条道路。我没有任何迷信,我认为我对生活也没有恐惧。这些我都经历过了,你看,我面前还有好多年要过。我想知道神是什么。我问过一些游方僧人,问过那些永远都说“神存在,你只要去看”的人,还有那些变得故弄玄虚并提供某种方法的人。我对所有那些陷阱都小心翼翼。所以我来到了这儿,因为我觉得我必须弄清楚。“

We sat in silence for some time. The parrots were passing the window, screeching, and the light was on their bright green wings and their red beaks.

我们沉默地坐了一会儿。鹦鹉们飞过窗户,尖叫着,阳光洒在它们鲜绿色的翅膀和红色的嘴上。

Do you think you can find out? Do you think that by seeking you will come upon it? Do you think you can experience it? Do you think that the measure of your mind is going to come upon the measureless? How are you going to find out? How will you know? How will you be able to recognise it?

你认为你能发现吗?你认为通过寻找你会遭遇它吗?你认为你能经历它吗?你认为你头脑的衡量会遭遇那不可衡量之物吗?你要如何去发现?你要如何知道?你如何能认出它?

"I really don't know," he replied. "But I will know when it is the real."

“我真的不知道,”他回答道。“但是如果它是真实的,我会知道的。”

You mean you will know it by your mind, by your heart, by your intelligence?

你的意思是你会通过你的头脑、你的心灵、你的智慧得知它?

"No. The knowing is not dependent on any of these. I know very well the danger of the senses. I am aware how easily illusions are created."

“不。知道不依赖于其中的任何一个。我非常清楚感受的危险。我明白制造幻觉有多么容易。”

To know is to experience, isn't it? To experience is to recognise, and recognition is memory and association. If what you mean by "knowing" is the result of a past incident, a memory, a thing that has happened before, then it is the knowing of what has happened. Can you know what is happening, what is actually taking place? Or, can you only know it a moment afterwards, when it is over? What is actually happening is out of time; knowing is always in time. You look at the happening with the eyes of time, which names it, translates it, and records it. This is what is called knowing, both analytically and through instant recognition. Into this field of knowing you want to bring that which is on the other side of the hill, or behind that tree. And you insist that you must know, that you must experience it and hold it. Can you hold those sweeping waters in your mind or in your hand? What you hold is the word and what your eyes have seen, and this seeing put into words, and the memory of those words. But the memory is not that water - and never will be.

知道就是经历,不是吗?经历是认知,而认知是记忆和联结。如果你说的“知道”是过去一起事件的结果、一个记忆、一件以前发生过的事情,那么它就只是知道已经发生的事情。你能知道正在发生的事情吗,现在实际上发生着什么?抑或,你只能在结束后的一刻才能知道?实际上正在发生着的事情是超出了时间的;而知道总是在时间之内。你用时间中的双眼看着正在发生的,给它命名、诠释它并记录它。这就是所谓的知道,既通过分析又通过即刻的认知。你想把山那边或树后面的东西带到这个知道的领域中。而你坚持你必须知道,你必须经历它并握住它。你能把冲刷而过的水握在脑中或手中吗?你握住的是词语和你的眼睛所看到的,这看到被诉诸语言,你握住的是对那些词语的记忆。但是记忆不是那水——永远都不是。

"All right," he said, "then how shall I come upon it? I have in my long and studious life found that nothing is going to save man - no institution, no social pattern, nothing, so I've stopped reading. But man must be saved, he must come out of this somehow, and my urgent demand to find God is the cry out of a great anxiety for man. This violence that is spreading is consuming man. I know all the arguments for and against it. Once I had hope, but now I am stripped of all hope. I am really completely at the end of my tether. I am not asking this question out of despair or to renew hope. I just can't see any light. So I have come to ask this one question: Can you help me to uncover reality - if there is a reality?"

“好吧,”他说,“那么我要如何遭遇它?在长时间而好学的生活中,我发现没什么能拯救人类——没有机构、没有社会模式,没什么能做到,所以我停止了阅读。但是人类必须被拯救,他无论如何都必须走出来,我想要找到神的迫切愿望是为人类而深深焦虑的呼喊。正在蔓延的这种暴力正毁灭着人类。我知道所有支持和反对这点的论证。我曾经抱有希望,但是现在我丧失了所有希望。我真的彻底走到了我能力的尽头。我问这个问题并不是出于绝望或想增强希望。我只是看不到任何光明。所以我来问这个问题:你能不能帮我发现真相——如果有真相的话?”

Again we were silent for some time. And the cooing of pigeons came into the room.

我们又沉默了一会儿。鸽子的咕咕声传进了房间里。

"I see what you mean. I've never before been so utterly silent. The question is there, outside of this silence, and when I look out of this silence at the question, it recedes. So you mean that it is only in this silence, in this complete and unpremeditated silence, that there is the measureless?"

“我明白了你的意思。我以前从没这么彻底地安静过。问题就在那儿,在这寂静之外,而当我从这寂静中看向那个问题,它远去了。所以你的意思是只有在这寂静中,这彻底的非预谋的寂静中,才有那无限?”

Another train was rattling across the bridge.

另一列火车咔嗒咔嗒地穿过了那座桥。

This invites all the foolishness and the hysteria of mysticism - a vague, inarticulate sentiment which breeds illusion. No, sir, this is not what we mean. It's hard work to put away all illusions - the political, the religious, the illusion of the future. We never discover anything for ourselves. We think we do, and that is one of the greatest illusions, which is thought. It is hard work to see clearly into this mess, into the insanity which man has woven around himself. You need a very, very sane mind to see, and to be free. These two, seeing and freedom, are absolutely necessary. Freedom from the urge to see, freedom from the hope that man always gives to science, to technology and to religious discoveries. This hope breeds illusion. To see this is freedom, and when there is freedom you do not invite. Then the mind itself has become the measureless.

这引发了所有的愚蠢和神秘主义的歇斯底里——一种滋生幻觉的模糊不清的情绪。不,先生,这不是我们的意思。抛开所有的幻觉——政治的、宗教的以及对未来的幻觉,是艰苦的工作。我们从不自己去发现任何东西。我们认为我们发现了,而这正是最大的幻觉之一,也就是思想。看清人类在自身周围编织的这混乱、这疯狂,是艰苦的工作。要看到、要自由,你需要一个非常、非常清明的心智。这两者,看到和自由,是绝对必要的。摆脱了想要看清的迫切愿望,摆脱了人类寄予科学、技术和宗教发现的希望的自由。这希望滋生了幻觉。看到这点就是自由,而如果有自由,你不需要邀请。那时心灵本身就变成了那无限。

返回列表 回复 发帖